About Our Parish

Reverend Dean Dowle

Rev. Dean Dowle was born in Edmonton, Alberta and received his education in Catholic Schools in Fort Saskatchewan. He was ordained a Priest for the Archdiocese of Edmonton after completing his Studies at Newman Theological College and St. Joseph Seminary in 2010. Subsequently, he served as the Associate Pastor for St. Joseph’s Basilica for 2 years before proceeding to further studies in Canon Law at Saint Paul University in Ottawa, Ontario.

Upon obtaining his Licentiate he was appointed as the Adjunct Judicial Vicar for the Interdiocesan Tribunal of Edmonton and also teaches as an Assistant Professor in Canon Law. He served the Catholic Student and Staff population as one of the District Chaplains for Edmonton Catholic Schools from 2014-2018. In 2018 he was appointed Pastor of St. John the Evangelist Parish, Edmonton where he currently resides and loves to serve.

Fr. Dean is an ardent advocate for Catholic Education within the Province of Alberta and among the wonderful Schools associated with the Parish. He believes in the mission of our Catholic Teachers, loves sharing in prayer with the Students, and cherishes the gift of bringing Christ to each Family. He is also a passionate voice for the positive work being achieved in the Pro-Life movement which advances the rights of the pre-born child and those persons facing end of life issues. Fr. Dean considers it a humble honour and great joy to serve as a Priest in the universal Catholic Church.

Parish History

The first mass at St John the Evangelist Parish was celebrated on August 2, 1942 in the old Melton barn located at 144 street and Stony Plain Road. In 1943, a new church was transported from Boyle, Alberta, which was intended to be the permanent church. That is until a population boom in the area warranted a larger building to accommodate the growing congregation. A new site was chosen on 148 street and 98 avenue. The present church was built in 1956 and officially consecrated on October 20, 1957 by Archbishop MacDonald.

Once again changes came to our parish in 2003, when St. John the Evangelist and Holy Spirit parishes were officially united. This meant the parish priest was called to serve both churches. The closing Mass of Holy Spirit Parish was celebrated on October 10, 2010 and the congregations is now amalgamated as one family in Christian fellowship.